Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sharing Your Faith-Part 1

It was about three years ago now that I started to feel conviction from God about sharing the gospel with other people. I used to be of the mindset that I would live my Christian faith out loud in front of people and that would be enough of a statement (by simply standing out in the crowd in my choices and lifestyle, living a moral life, of which I wasn't even doing that great of a job). Then I started to give my stance some more thought. When I started studying the Scriptures on a regular basis and understanding the message of the gospel, I started to question my original position on sharing my faith. I tried to picture in my mind how that would work and asked myself if it really made any sense.

Would my coworker really come up to me one day and say, "Hey, I was noticing at the last work event we attended, you didn't drink any alcohol. By watching that I said to myself, I suddenly realize I have sinned against the righteous and holy God of the universe, and I deserve to be punished."

Would my neighbor come up to me and say, "Hey, I noticed you keep your yard really neat and tidy, you've brought cookies to my door a few times, and you always go to church on Sundays. With this observation, I've come to the realization that I need forgiveness of my sins, and Jesus Christ died on a cross (and rose from the dead) as punishment for those sins. I need to repent of my sins and put my trust in Christ alone for my salvation."

When I started thinking about the practicality of my original position, it seemed ridiculous. Jesus said in Mark 16:15 "Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation." I can't think of a way to proclaim the gospel clearly without using the words of the gospel message to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was a beautiful, unseasonably warm April day in Minnesota. The thermometer hit 81 degrees. I also had an unusual amount of energy for ...