Monday, June 29, 2009

A Day With My Niece

My niece, Emily, spent the night on Saturday. She's 8 years old. She likes to go to Sunday School at our church. So when the opportunity presents itself, we pick up her up on Saturday, she spends the night, and then goes to church with us on Sunday morning.

She's a joy to have around the house. A few months ago we gave her a Bible as a gift. She brought it with her when she spent the night. She knows Greg and I often read the Bible as a family in the evening (because we include her in that process when she's around). So, she brought out her Bible in the evening in anticipation of that event. I asked her if she reads her Bible at home. She said, "No. I don't know how to find the books. I don't know what to read. If I had a schedule, I would read it."

We set up some tabs in her Bible, so she can find the books. Greg made some bookmarks to go along with our "read through the Bible in a year" plan. The bookmarks are set up to check off the chapter as you read it each day. So, I gave her a set of those. She promptly started reading Isaiah and Psalms in accordance with her bookmarks.

It was fun to see such an interest in God's Word. May it be so in my own life, and I pray it continues in Emily's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was a beautiful, unseasonably warm April day in Minnesota. The thermometer hit 81 degrees. I also had an unusual amount of energy for ...