Thursday, June 4, 2009

Just like Gilligan

The dress code at my place of employment is business casual. About three years ago, I made the decision to start wearing a uniform to work everyday. I've changed the uniform a couple times (that's the beauty of a self-imposed uniform rule--you have freedom) but currently it is black pants and a white polo shirt. Here's how this decision has benefited me in my walk with God and my relationships with people.

* Not a lot of time is wasted on clothing decisions in the morning. It frees up time for Bible reading (seriously, it makes a big difference).

* It cuts out some of the trivial conversation with people. No one comments on what I wear because no one really notices it. It allows for other conversation during brief encounters with coworkers in the hallways.

* It keeps me from the temptation to rely on myself (instead of God) in daily work situations by trying to bolster my confidence or mood with the clothing I wear.

I find that this "uiform thinking" has leaked into my casual wear as well. I tend to find one modest top that I like, in a color that I like. I buy several of them, and that becomes my standard outfit.

Very few people notice this about me and an even fewer number of people ask me about it. Occasionally, I talk about it. When I do talk about it, it's hard for people to get their heads around the concept and the reality of it. I always get the question, "You mean you wear the same thing everyday?" I usually say, "Yeah, you know, like Gilligan did."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katrina,
    I read this last week but didn't get a chance to comment on it. Your reply, "Yeah, you know, like Gilligan did." cracked me up! I think the self-imposed uniform is a great idea. I don't have an issue with waking up and wondering what I'm going to wear (because I'm a stay-at-home mom), but it definitely takes too much of my time when I'm going somewhere or Saturday night when I'm trying to figure out what to wear to church. I was convicted with the thought, "Do I use my clothing to bolster my confidence or mood instead of relying on God?" I don't want to look to things (such as clothes) to make me feel good about myself. I am a child of God and my identity should be found in Him. I am blessed, in Christ, with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places (Ephesians 1:3) - what else do I need? To answer my rhetorical question - nothing!
    Thank you for the reminder.
    Your sister in Christ,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Today was a beautiful, unseasonably warm April day in Minnesota. The thermometer hit 81 degrees. I also had an unusual amount of energy for ...