Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What I'm Learning About Evangelism-Part 2

This week my posts will be about what I've learned about evangelism in the last six months.

Two lessons stand out to me today:

1. Know the gospel. Read about the gospel, understand it, preach it to yourself. If you do not understand the message of the gospel (we are sinners, enemies of God, yet God loved us and sent his Son, Jesus Christ-fully God, fully man-to live a sinless life and die a cruel and painful death, taking the punishment we deserve for the sins we committed, and then rose from the grave after three days, defeating death, that we may be reconciled to the Father through the sacrifice of His Son--nothing we have done or can do ourselves) then you will not be able to share it with others and you won't be compelled to do so either.

2. You will never be brave enough to share the gospel with someone else. I put it off for weeks and months thinking, "If I just hear one more person share the gospel with someone else, then I'll be ready" "If the circumstances line up just right, then I'll be ready" "If that person didn't look like they were in a hurry, I would share the gospel with them" "If I didn't have my friend with me and the awkwardness around the situation, then I would have shared the gospel with that person." "I have to memorize a few more Bible verses, then I'll be ready" "If I had more time today, I would share the gospel with that person".
I have never been ready. I keep waiting for a brave feeling, and it hasn't arrived yet. I am terrified every time I approach a stranger to talk about the gospel with them.
I remind myself that this is not about me. I will not be converting any souls. God will do that, in His timing. It is simply my task to proclaim the gospel, whether I feel brave enough to do so or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 5th chemo session with Taxol. 5 down 7 to go. I'm happy to report it was pretty uneventful as chemo days go. I didn't h...