Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bible Reading Plan Part 1

In January, Greg and I started reading the Bible using the Robert Murray M'Cheyne Bible reading calendar for the year. It was suggested to our church by our pastor. It is comprised of reading roughly 4 chapters of the Bible a day. Two chapters are read as a family and two chapters are read indivdually (the plan calls it "secret"). The plan takes its readings from different books throughout the Bible (for example right now for family reading we are in 2 Samuel and 2 Corinthians and for personal reading we are in Ezekiel and Psalms). By the end of the year, this plan will have you reading through the entire Old Testament once, the New Testamet twice, and Psalms twice.

I'm enjoying the fact that we read part of it alone and part of it as a family. I find that I digest the information differently in each setting and both are beneficial.

When I read the chapters with Greg, I'm able to have discussion with him and hear what he is thinking as we read the Bible. He often observes things in the passages that I don't. I love talking about it with him.

When I read the chapters alone, I'm able to write it down if necessary (add it to my "What do I Know About my God?" notebook), look to commentaries if desired. And I still have the benefit of discussing it with Greg because we are reading the same chapters at the same time separately (in theory).

This has been a great tool for Spiritual growth in our lives throughout this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 5th chemo session with Taxol. 5 down 7 to go. I'm happy to report it was pretty uneventful as chemo days go. I didn't h...