Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Birthday Present

At my party on Friday, Emily (my 8-year-old niece) had several presents for me. A couple of the presents she made herself. My mom gave her a bunch of pictures of me from my growing-up years. She gave Emily only pictures of me, and Emily (all by herself) made a scrapbook for me using those pictures.

Emily also made me a special frame with one picture in it. Unbeknownst to Emily, the picture she chose was the infamous (in our family anyway) 4th grade picture. Until recently, it was my least favorite school picture of all time. I did my own hair that day and I can still remember the photographer asking me ("Don't you want to comb your hair before I take the picture?"--I was appalled. I spent a lot of time on that hair. It was exactly how I wanted it). My dislike for that picture actually stemmed from pride, something God convicted me of later in life (which made the picture all the more unappealing to me).

When I opened Emily's present on Friday night and saw the picture she chose for her special frame, I was surprised by my own emotions. It actually filled my heart with joy. It was a reminder to me that God is sovereign. All things are known by Him and used by Him.

I started laughing when I saw the picture she had chosen. I was sitting at the bonfire when I opened it. We had a blast passing it around. My brothers especially enjoyed it. It also did not go unnoticed that there is a striking resemblance between Emily (now 8 years old) and my 4th grade picture (I was 10 at the time).

I will cherish this picture frame made by Emily (and the picture that it holds). I marvel at the work God does in one's heart and the means He uses to do it.



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was a beautiful, unseasonably warm April day in Minnesota. The thermometer hit 81 degrees. I also had an unusual amount of energy for ...