Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Resource Wednesday 02/24/10

Today I'd like to share with you the latest book I've been reading, Gospel-Powered Parenting by William Farley. I have three chapters to go, and I'm thoroughly enjoying this book. If you're looking for a book that gives you practical parenting tips and step-by-step advice for various parenting scenarios, this is not the book for you. In this book you will find a study of parenting and a study of the gospel. If you like to hear the gospel explained, then you will not be disappointed by this book. The author takes two chapters (4 & 5) to explain God's wrath and God's love and mercy. He also spends a chapter explaining the "fear of the Lord" (3), and I think he does a pretty good job.

In chapter 6, the author spends time focusing on the value of our marriages in the area of parenting. Three of my favorite paragraphs in the book are found at the end of chapter 6 (pages 121 & 122):

This chapter has said that our example matters, that our marriages preach the gospel. It has also indicated that the gospel produces the humility that attracts our children. The gospel has another crucial function. It is the place where needy parents go for cleansing and forgiveness. When I am impatient with my wife, I run to the cross for forgiveness. When I treat my wife selfishly or thoughtlessly, in front of my children, I run to the cross for forgiveness. When my wife fails, she goes there also. At the cross, we find grace to help us in our time of need (Heb 4:16).

We also run to the cross for motivation. When I need a model of sacrificial love, I look to the cross. There I see Christ dying for me, his enemy. When my wife needs motivation to submit to a very imperfect husband, one every bit her equal, she looks to the cross. There she sees Christ submitting to his Father, who was every bit his equal. Jesus doesn't complain. He doesn't demand a turn to lead the Trinity. He doesn't try to control his Father. He doesn't try to manipulate him. He just willingly goes to the cross in perfect obedience and dies.

The cross is our salvation from the condemnation of sin. The cross motivates us to be the parents that God wants us to be. The cross motivates us to preach a compelling example to our children. The cross exposes our pride. It humbles us. It shows us who we really are--sinners saved by grace.

As I mentioned above, I have three chapters to go in this book. But, I would recommend it on chapters 1 through 9 alone. I could stop reading it now and feel it was worth the read (but I do plan to finish it up). I would recommend it for the home bookshelf. I think it would be an excellent resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was a beautiful, unseasonably warm April day in Minnesota. The thermometer hit 81 degrees. I also had an unusual amount of energy for ...