Monday, August 17, 2009

What Am I Learning About My God-10

I'm going to pick up where I left off a few weeks ago with posts from my "What Do I Know About My God?" notebook. I have mentioned (many times now) that our church is working through the book What Do I Know About My God? by Mardi Collier in our monthly women's Bible Study. Part of the structure of this book is to learn how to keep a notebook (mine is a three-ring binder) on the attributes of God. The idea is that as you read through Scripture you write down verses under headings that describe God's character and nature. Some headings are suggested in the book, but you are encouraged to use your own headings as well. I have also mentioned that I am finding this study very useful in establishing a Biblical worldview on paper. I thought I would spend this week sharing the headings I have in my notebook, thus far, and the verses that coincide with the headings. I'm only part way through this study so my list is by no means is an exhaustive list of God's attributes (nor do I ever expect it to be).

Here's today's headings:

My God is Slow to Anger

Psalm 86:15 (ESV)

But You, O LORD are merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.

My God is Sovereign

Matthew 10:29-31

Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

My God is My Strength

Psalm 28:7-8

The LORD is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my hear exults, and with my song I give thanks to Him. The LORD is the strength of His people; He is the saving refuge of His anointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was a beautiful, unseasonably warm April day in Minnesota. The thermometer hit 81 degrees. I also had an unusual amount of energy for ...