Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Day Before

The day before I go out and intentionally seek to engage in conversations about the gospel with total strangers, I have a thousand things (hmm, exaggeration?, perhaps) running through my mind. Here's a few of them:

I hope it rains

I know nothing about the gospel or the Bible

I'm too old for this

People will think I'm weird

What if someone asks me a question and I don't know the answer?

Maybe this is wrong and I should spend a couple years cultivating a relationship with someone before I share the gospel

What if I misquote the Bible and misrepresent God?

What if I run into people I know?

Nothing ever comes of this anyway, so what's the use?

I feel so alone in this

Is it wrong to use the law and the gospel when witnessing?

What is wrong with this picture? I'm suddenly considered a bold evangelizer? I'm terrible at this.

Some people think what I'm doing and how I'm doing it is wrong. Are they right?

I hope it rains.

Then I'll have to go to the mall. Ohh, the mall is scary.

What if somone asks me some science questions and I look like an idiot?

What if I'm rejected?

What if someone calls security or the police?

Maybe I'll get sick and have to stay home

These thoughts (and many more) run through my mind every week. Then in the middle of this extremely self-centered thinking (was even one of those thoughts focused on anything but me?), I repent, and my mind takes a turn. These thoughts start popping into my mind.

Have you read your Bible today?

Are you praying about the souls of the lost as much as you are thinking about yourself?

Are you battling sin instead of giving into it?

What do I know about my God?

Is God sovereign or is He not? If He is (and He is), then act like it.

I hope a stranger approaches one of my friends or family members and shares the gospel with them

People are living and dying all over the world for the gospel, out of love and devotion for Jesus Christ. Many people in other countries are being tortured, persecuted, and imprisoned for owning a Bible, let alone sharing the gospel. Persecution has not hit America, yet. Why am I so fearful? It's shameful.

Why wouldn't I share the gospel while I have the opportunity and freedom?

What if I meet (and the chances are very good) someone who has never heard the good news of the gospel? Why wouldn't I want to share that with them?

I pray God allows me that opportunity tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was a beautiful, unseasonably warm April day in Minnesota. The thermometer hit 81 degrees. I also had an unusual amount of energy for ...