Sunday, August 23, 2009

What Am I Learning About My God?-14

Please see the What Am I Learning About My God?-Day 10 post for an explanation of today's post. I'm in the "W" category of my notebook, and this category has a large number of headings in it. While still focusing on the nature and character of God, these headings move more into expectations God has laid out for us in His Word.

My God Wants Me to Fear Him

Psalm 2:11
Serve the Lord with fear and rejoice with trembling.

Proverbs 3:7
Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and depart from evil.

Proverbs 8:12-13 (ESV)
I, wisdom, dwell with prudence, and I find knowledge and discretion. The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of the evil and perverted speech I hate.

Proverbs 23:17 (NKJV)
Do not let your heart envy sinners, but be zealous for the fear of the LORD all the day; for surely there is a hereafter and your hope will not be cut off.

Proverbs 1:7 (NKJV)
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 (NKJV)
Let us hear the conclusion of this whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all. For God will bring every work into judgment including every secret thing, whether good or evil.

My God Wants Me to be Humble

Romans 12:16 (NKJV)
Be of the same mind one toward another. Do not set your mind on high things but associate with the humble. Don not be wise in your own opinion.

Proverbs 3:7 (NKJV)
Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and depart from evil.

Proverbs 29:23 (ESV)
One's pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor.

Numbers 12:3 (NKJV)
(Now the man Moses was very humble, more than all the men who were on the face of the earth).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was a beautiful, unseasonably warm April day in Minnesota. The thermometer hit 81 degrees. I also had an unusual amount of energy for ...