Saturday, August 15, 2009

Frightening Friday 8/14

I call my Friday night posts "frightening Fridays" because I have set that day aside to go out into the community and share the gospel with people I meet. I use the word frightening because it scares me to do so. I'm quiet by nature and not afraid to be alone. The thought of approaching a total stranger (something I rarely do in any situation) makes me sick to my stomach. It is only love for Jesus Christ and the thought that the person standing next to me, or hanging out at the park, or walking down the street might not know of their own sinful condition and the consequences of it that compels me to go out there and speak to people.

They might not know that they have sinned against (broken the laws of) the righteous and holy God of the universe. The God who created this world and created them. They might not know that because God is just He must punish sin and punish lawbreakers. The punishment for that sin is Hell for eternity, eternal damnation. They might not know the seriousness of their condition. And I fear they might not know that they don't have to go to Hell. I want to make sure that they know that God in His lovingkindness provided an escape for them. I want them to know that Jesus Christ (fully God, fully man) came to this earth, lived a sinless life, died a cruel and painful death, and rose again to take the punishment for their sin (and mine). And because of Him, they can live. Because of Him, and only Him, they can be seen as righteous before God.

That is why I go out on Friday nights. What if they don't know?

I was able to share that message (and more) this Friday night at a local skate park. This week I experienced the privilege of being joined by Greg (my husband) and two other friends (Ron and Michael) from the church we attend. It was encouraging to have company in sharing the gospel with others in our community. May God be glorified through it.


If you are on this blog for the first time because you received a gospel tract from me, please check out the "My Testimony" post under the May archives and my favorite links at the side of this page for other resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 11th treatment of Taxol. Only 1 left to go, and I am grateful! This past week was a bit of a low-energy week for me and more of...