Monday, May 25, 2009

A Visit With Mom

Yesterday after church, I drove up to Milaca (about an hour north of my house) to visit my mom for the afternoon. It was just the two of us. It was a sweet visit.

My relationship with my mom has changed greatly in the last 3 years or so, a change for the better. All the glory and praise for this goes to God.

I was a false convert to Christianity until about 6 years ago (I claimed it with my mouth but denied it with my life). I called myself a Christian but I had not been regenerated, made new by God. After God saved me, and I began to testify of His goodness, friends and family members were confused (and rightfully so, I had already claimed this once before, when I was 11 years old). But there are two people (in particular) in my life who understood what I was saying, my husband and my mother. They both had a lot of experience with the real me (the me behind closed doors who didn't clean up behavior for reputation's sake).

I also attribute some of this change in my relationship with my mom to the church where we (Greg and I) are now members. Mom and Larry (my dearly-loved step dad) attend there as well. We are hearing the Bible preached from the pulpit every time the doors are opened, and we are encouraged to study it on our own as well. When you are in God's Word and seeking to apply it to your life, it changes your relationships. When my mom and I have conversations now, we are able to hold each other accountable by the standard of God's Word and not just our personal expectations.

I thank Jesus Christ for dying on the cross to the take the punishment for my sins that I may have a relationship with God. I thank God that He gave me my mother and that, through His saving grace, I can have a relationship with her as well.

1 comment:

  1. This is exciting. I pray that my Mom would come to know the Lord so that we too could have Christ as the foundation of our relationship.
    I enjoy that God and His Son, Jesus Christ are the focus on your blog. May God alone receive the glory due His name.
    Love you,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Today was my 11th treatment of Taxol. Only 1 left to go, and I am grateful! This past week was a bit of a low-energy week for me and more of...