Saturday, May 23, 2009

Frightening Fridays (Part 1)

About two weeks ago, I attended an evangelism training event (Ambassador's Academy) in California. I like the way this ministry uses the law (the 10 commandments) to bring knowledge of sin, and then shares the gospel (the good news of redemption). I wanted to experience sharing the gospel alongside people who do it all the time, and I want to share the gospel with people, here, where I live. The training was excellent. The experience was excellent. Now I'm home, without a team of supporters surrounding me. Time to put training into practice. But there's a problem; I'm a huge chicken.

There is nothing in my personality alone that would coerce me to start a conversation with people I don't know. There are but two things that compel me to share the gospel with total strangers:

1. Love for Jesus Christ (I am undeserving, yet He loves me and took the punishment for my sins. I am grateful).

2. Love for people. (It is a shockingly high number of people in America who do not know the message of the gospel. We are no longer a predominantly Christian nation).

That brings me to the title of this post. I have decided to spend Friday evenings (whenever possible) out and about in the local cities handing out gospel tracts and sharing the gospel with people I meet. At present, I am a team of one (physically anyway). But I have fellow believers praying for me, and for that, I am very grateful.

Sharing the gospel with strangers (and friends and family members) will cause you to pray more than ever before and desire to be in God's Word more than you ever thought possible. It will cause you to hunger and thirst for those things because you know you have nothing to offer in and of yourself.

Stayed tuned to tomorrow's post for what happened on my first Friday out on the streets.

Note: If you are reading this blog, and you are not a Christian, please click on the "My Testimony" post (under Blog Archive on the right-hand side of this blog page) to learn more about the message of the gospel. I welcome your feedback.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty brave to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your testimony of Christ's love compelling you to share the good news of Jesus Christ has challenged me. Please pray for me that I would be bold in sharing the gospel in my neighborhood. It may not be on Friday but I want to commit to at least one day a week that I step out in faith to tell others about Jesus Christ. Baby steps . . .
    Praying for you!
    Your sister in Christ,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,

    I will be praying for you in your evangelism efforts. Thank you for your comments. They are very encouraging to me.

    ReplyDelete

Today was my 7th treatment of Taxol. I'm over the hump now. Only 5 left to go. Usually I have a couple good days right before I have che...