Sunday, May 24, 2009

Frightening Fridays (Part 2)

As mentioned in yesterday's blog entry, since returning home from some evangelism training in California about two weeks ago, I have decided to spend Friday evenings out in the local community handing out tracts and sharing the gospel with people I meet.


A tip I learned in the training I received was to set a goal when going out for the evening with evangelism on your brain. So, I did that. My goal was to hand out 15 gospel tracts and share the gospel with at least one person face to face.

I drove from work to a town neighboring my home with the intent to pass out tracts and talk to a few people. It being May in Minnesota, there weren't many people congregating out and about quite yet.

I did find a carnival going on in a parking lot. I was able to chat for a few minutes with some young people (late teens to early twenties) hanging out in and around their vehicle. They helped me identify some celebrities on the million dollar bill tracts, and they very kindly wrote down the information for me (even calling friends on their cell phones to make sure they were giving me correct information). Though they were very kind and very friendly, my tongue remained frozen when it came to sharing the gospel. I did manage to summon the courage to give them each a gospel tract when I left (the one containing my own personal testimony and an invitation to the church Greg and I attend).

I stopped to run an errand at Walmart and handed out a few tracts on my way in the door.

My final stop was at a park near my home where I decided to go for a walk on the walking trails in hopes of finding someone with which to strike up a conversation. As I was walking, I passed 4 young people (junior high school aged) who yelled out some kind of hip greeting that I did not understand. I smiled and showed them some gospel tracts. Then I said, "Do you know what the gospel is?" They threw out a few answers. I was then able to share some of the 10 commandments with them. After establishing the bad news of their sinful state with them, I was able to share the good news of the gospel. I saw a few moments of sincerity and general interest in their eyes. I gave them a few follow up tracts and urged them to think about what they heard that evening.

My tract distribution and witnessing goals were met, so I headed home. It appears God allows even the chickens to proclaim the good news of the gospel.

1 comment:

  1. Praising the Lord for your faithfulness. God will bless your efforts!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Today was my 10th treatment of Taxol, only 2 more to go. Oddly, I had a small reaction to the pre-med of Benadryl this time around, which I&...