Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday School

I recently started teaching Christian Education (also known as Sunday School) for the 3-6 year olds at our church. My initial schooling was in child development, and I taught preschool for about 10 years. I then went back to school and trained in medical transcription and that was my career for the next 10 years (with a little overlap in between), and it continues to be my occupation today. I didn't think I missed teaching at all. But I realize now, it is my first love. I'm grateful God has allowed me this opportunity to teach the little ones again. I find I learn more through teaching than through any other experience in my life.

In our class, we are working on memorizing an entire Scripture passage instead of a different verse every week. We are memorizing Psalm 8. I am amazed at the ability of the young mind to memorize. They challenge me in this area, and teaching them allows me to work on my memorizing skills as well. It's a good mental reprimand to say to yourself, "Hey, a four year old can do this, what's your problem?"

Here's the passage we're working on (so far we've memorized through verse 4):

Psalm 8
(1) O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth! You have set Your glory above the heavens. (2) Out of the mouth of babies and infants, You have established strength because of Your foes, to still the enemy and the avenger. (3) When I look at Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have set in place, (4) what is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You care for him?(5) Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings, and crowned him with glory and honor. (6) You have given him dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet, (7) all sheep and oxen and also the beasts of the field, (8) the birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea, whatever passes along the seas. (9) O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth!

(Psalm 8--English Standard Version)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the investment you are making in the lives of my boys! I've been convicted about not hiding God's Word in my heart as I should. I often spend more time at the computer than soaking in the truth of His Word. Forgive me Lord, when I place "things" first in my life before You.
    Thanks for the encouragement to memorize scripture!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh,Julie. I love you (and your heart for God). Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete

Today was my 10th treatment of Taxol, only 2 more to go. Oddly, I had a small reaction to the pre-med of Benadryl this time around, which I&...