Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Cancer Musings (Thank you for this food)

In our household, it has always been our habit to pray and thank God before we eat a meal. We do this for many reasons. We do this because we are grateful to God and we want to express that gratitude. We do this because everything we have comes from God and we don't want to forget it. We do this because it is a natural time in our day when we pause, and we want to use that as a meaningful moment. We do this because we love God and we want to express that to Him. And ... we do this to thank God for the food he has provided for us. 

Since chemo has started for me, thanking God for food has taken on new meaning in my life. I have had difficulty eating during this first cycle of chemo drugs (which is scheduled to last two months). I have little appetite and nothing tastes good to me. Sometimes I gag on the food I eat because it tastes so bad. So far, I've had about 6-8 days per chemo cycle where I can eat very little, and what I am able to eat takes great effort. 

I am finding greater significance in thanking God for the food I can eat because I am truly grateful for it. I have more recognition that food is not just enjoyed because it tastes good (and God is so good to give us food that tastes good-He didn't have to do that), but food is also enjoyed because it nourishes our body and we need it. It gives us strength. 

I have started to form a new habit during these days. I still thank God for the food I am about to eat. And there are many days, I thank God after I am able to eat food because I am so grateful for that provision. It is teaching me not to take the blessings and provisions of God for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 12th treatment of the Taxol drug, and my last one in this regimen. No more infusion appointments. I am very grateful for that, ...