Sunday, January 21, 2024

Cancer Musings (So Happy)

I've eaten very little food in the past 7 days because of the side effects of the last chemo treatment. Food tastes horrible to me and makes me gag, and I have very little appetite for it. Usually by this point, though, I'm exhausted with the whole experience and start getting pretty emotional. Today, it felt like I was turning the corner and might be able to eat something, so I asked to be taken to a buffet style restaurant so that I could try a few things out without the pressure of ordering a whole meal. 

I was sitting in the restaurant with my husband and my dad, and I was able to eat some chicken, mashed potatoes, and fruit. Suddenly, I was overcome with emotion and I burst into tears. Rightfully so, my husband looked at me with great confusion, and I said, "I'm just so happy I can eat something." He smiled and assured me he was happy for me too. Papa-Larry was sitting across the table from me, and when he saw my face covered in tears, he was obviously confused too. He looked at Greg who explained to him that I was just so happy I could eat. His reaction was the same as Greg's. He said he was happy too. 

The three of us have really been a team in this cancer experience. They see me and support me at my lowest moments. And they are there to support me in the smallest victories like being able to eat some food. I'm grateful to God for them, and I'm grateful to God for how He is sustaining me through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 12th treatment of the Taxol drug, and my last one in this regimen. No more infusion appointments. I am very grateful for that, ...