Friday, January 12, 2024

Cancer Musings (The Surprise Basket)

I've had much kindness shown to me in the short time I've been walking this cancer road. Kindness from strangers. Kindness from friends. Kindness from family. Kindness from coworkers. Kindness from medical staff. It all means so much to me, and none of the acts of kindness outrank another. Each is special and significant in its own way. And each is appreciated beyond what I can express in words. In a unique category among acts of kindness are the acts of kindness that come from those who have walked a similar road. I've had people pour into me advice about chemo, what to expect and how to manage it, advice about what to eat when I don't want to eat anything, advice about how to protect my immune system as it's being diminished day by day. 

Today, as I was standing in my kitchen, I noticed two friends from church walking up the driveway with a large basket in hand. Their interaction with me was very brief and very kind. They said they just wanted to drop off the basket to me and let me know they are praying for me. 


Deb has been walking her own chemo road, so the basket was filled with items that are unique to the challenges that come with chemo (such as a mouthwash/rinse specifically for mouth sores, mints, ginger chews, ginger tea, lip balm - because your lips never stop being dry, and warm socks)


Besides being practical, the basket is beautiful!
It contained a small plaque (which is now sitting near my bedside) that says "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Psalm 143:8. 
And there was a journal and a small coloring book and colored pencils. The coloring book contains 365 promises from God's Word. 

I was touched by the beauty and practicality of this gift and touched by the kindness shown to me by God through His people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 12th treatment of the Taxol drug, and my last one in this regimen. No more infusion appointments. I am very grateful for that, ...