Sunday, January 21, 2024

Cancer Musings (A Surprise Gift)

This afternoon, I was weary from a long week of new chemo side effects that took me by surprise, so I took a long nap to try to recuperate a little strength. While I was sleeping I received a surprise gift delivered to our doorstep. It was from a friend that I've known since I was about 14 years old. I started babysitting her three boys when I was that age and babysat them through the age of 19, some evenings, some weekends, and all through the summers. Her boys, of course, are adults now with families of their own. I have remained in touch with this friend and her husband throughout the years. Though, we've seen each other very little throughout the years, we have always exchanged Christmas cards (for 30+ years now). It is from this year's Christmas card and letter that she would have received the news that I have breast cancer. 

So, I was surprised when I awoke from my nap today to hear Papa-Larry say that  this friend (Toni) had dropped off a package for me. She has never been to my house before, so this was very unexpected. She just dropped off the package with a sweet card and was on her way. The card read like this: "I made this quilt for you. I hope it brings you joy, warmth, & comfort for your journey that is in front of you."

It's beautiful! Four of the squares contain Bible verses, all perfectly appropriate for just the kind of gift that it is. 

Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart." 

Nehemiah 8:10 "The joy of the Lord is your strength."

Psalm 41:10 "Do not fear for I am with you."

Psalm 16:11 "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. 

Again, I am grateful to God for the longtime friends, new friends, strangers, coworkers, family, and church family He has put in my path to encourage me throughout this journey. I am amazed at the kindness being shown in myriad ways.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 12th treatment of the Taxol drug, and my last one in this regimen. No more infusion appointments. I am very grateful for that, ...