Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mama!

Today is my mom's birthday. I am grateful for a relationship with my mother. She is small (4'11" tall so she recently discovered--a real shock to her--she was sure she was 5' 1-1/2" despite our insistings to the contrary). She is spunky and loves the Lord, and I love her!

My mom's name is Clara, and she is originally from the hills of West Virginia. She has lived in Minnesota for over 40 years but has not lost her accent (though she will adamantly insist, "I sound just like you do.").

She is probably the most creative person I know, and I have benefited from those genes.

She has one speed: Fast. She can work circles around me. She's a bit of a clean freak. One day my dad-Larry said to her, "You need a hobby." She said, "Yeah, I don't really have any hobbies, other than cleaning." Dad-Larry said, "That is not a hobby!" She wasn't convinced.


She lives an hour north of us. Though that is relatively close, as years go by, it doesn't feel close enough.

She is a frequent visitor and commenter on this blog (she loves to check out Cookie Baking Night and see what the grand kids are up to). She goes by the name Anonymous.

Happy Birthday, Mom! I love you!

1 comment:

  1. We here at The Word Street Journal had planned to publish a grand splash of a special no-ad supplement, following a front page birthday tribute in honor of your mother, but the press had just run out of toner and the toner store was closed because they were out of toner too.

    Sorry. Maybe next year.

    Birthday Blessings to your Mom anyway. :)

    Paul & Kim

    ReplyDelete

Today was a beautiful, unseasonably warm April day in Minnesota. The thermometer hit 81 degrees. I also had an unusual amount of energy for ...