Monday, December 11, 2023

Cancer Musings (The Nutritionist)

I mentioned in a previous post that my cancer diagnosis came out of an effort to update some of my health appointments and address any issues that came up. I knew that my bloodwork had been coming back as "high cholesterol" for a few years. When the subject came up with my new primary care provider, she asked me if the bloodwork came back high again if I would be willing to go on a medication or if I wanted to manage it with dietary changes. At that point, I was not on any medications, so I didn't want to add one if I didn't have to. I told her I would like to manage it with dietary changes and weight loss and asked her if she would refer me to a nutritionist. She happily did so. 

I had my first appointment with the nutritionist on October 12, which was weeks before I was diagnosed with cancer. She suggested I try to add two stalks of celery a day to my diet, increase my fruits and vegetables intake, and gave me a plan for how to add fiber to the smoothie I was usually eating for breakfast each day. They all sounded like reasonable suggestions to me, so I embraced the advice and implemented it. By the time I saw her again six weeks later, I had lost 10 pounds. I had also been diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer about two weeks prior to my second appointment with her, and she was on it. 

Before that second appointment, my nutritionist had reviewed my recent history and had a plan in place to help me navigate through the cancer diagnosis nutritionally. She suggested an anti-inflammatory diet consisting of many fruits and vegetables. She also suggested a book to me called the The Cancer Fighting Kitchen . It is filled with recipes but also advice on how to navigate through cancer and chemo and all the side effects that accompany it. It's been a great resource. I embraced it immediately, and my dad drove around all over town while I was at work gathering some of the funky ingredients (like kombu, leeks, and Japanese sweet potatoes) that I needed to make some of the recipes. Miracle Mineral Broth, anyone? My freezer is stalked with recipes now, and I'm ready to weather the storm. 

But my favorite part of that second visit that reminded me of my favorite B.B. Warfield quote (In the infinite wisdom of the Lord of all the earth, each event falls with exact precision into its proper place in the unfolding of His divine plan ...) came at the very end of the visit. Just before the nutritionist ended the visit, and almost as an afterthought, she asked me, "Your diagnosis is Triple Negative Breast Cancer, right?" I said, "Yes". She then said, "I did my thesis paper in school on Triple Negative Breast Cancer and the effects of nutrition on it". 

I said it before and I'll say it again, I marvel at the good God I serve and the presence of His hand and tender care all the way through this cancer diagnosis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 12th treatment of the Taxol drug, and my last one in this regimen. No more infusion appointments. I am very grateful for that, ...