Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Cancer Musings (Christmas)

Christmas celebrations were a little rougher for me this year as I was still experiencing heavy chemo side effects. The  metal taste in my mouth lasted through Christmas Eve. I couldn't smell or taste most food without getting queasy. The only food I could eat was steel-cut oatmeal. 

We were blessed in so many ways by our family this year. On Greg's side of the family, when we had our Christmas celebration just a few days before Christmas, my sister-in-law made oatmeal for me as part of the meal, which was very touching. 

On my side of the family, we were hosting on Christmas day, which was very challenging for me since I couldn't smell the food correctly or taste-test it. I made a ham and ribs, and my niece made and brought all of the side dishes for the meal. I felt so blessed by this kindness and it lifted a burden from me. 

Even though the Christmas celebration was a little different for me. Christmas had not changed. It remained as it always had. I wrote the following message in our Christmas letter this year, and I think it's worth repeating here. 

Christmas for us is not about the presents or the family or the cookies or the concerts or the warm and fuzzy feelings. We enjoy all of those things and consider them great blessings from God, but our joy and our hope this Christmas season is in Jesus Christ (God and man in the flesh) who came to this world so many years ago to be born as a human, live a sinless life, die a painful death, and be raised from the dead so that he may offer life and forgiveness of sins to all mankind. It is the reason the angel of the Lord said to the shepherds (Luke 2:10-11) “…I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” We are resting in that truth this Christmas season and pray that you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 12th treatment of the Taxol drug, and my last one in this regimen. No more infusion appointments. I am very grateful for that, ...