Friday, December 29, 2023

Cancer Musings (Flowers)

There are a few hobbies I like to do. Cooking is probably my favorite among them. I love to cook (and bake). I started learning to cook when I was 9 years old and took a "Junior Chef" class in summer school. I was hooked and began honing that skill from that day until now. Most recently, though, cooking is not something I'm able to enjoy in the same way. Due to the chemo side effects, I'm not able to taste or smell the food I make right now without becoming ill, so it has taken a little of the joy out of it for me. I miss it very much. I really miss baking too. Cooking and baking relax me, so I'm also missing that outlet. 

Another hobby of mine that few people know about is flower arranging. I love flowers in general. I think they are some of the most beautiful things that God created. My favorite flowers to arrange are cheap ones. I see the potential there, and I love to see what they can become. I also enjoy finding out-of-the-ordinary containers to make the arrangements in. 

Recently, I made a flower arrangement for a friend for Christmas. And for our anniversary, Greg let me pick out some flower bouquets at Costco because he knew I would love to arrange them. He was right. As I was arranging those flowers, I realized this was a creative outlet and a relaxation that I've been allowed to enjoy in the absence of cooking. I'm so grateful to God that He provided this little gift to me at just the time I needed it. I had a blast doing it too. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 12th treatment of the Taxol drug, and my last one in this regimen. No more infusion appointments. I am very grateful for that, ...