Monday, August 30, 2010

Characteristics of a Servant

I am currently reading Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Sarah, Stephen, and Grace Mally (you can find the Amazon link on the right side of this page under "Books I'm currently reading" if you're interested in more information about the book). I bought this book at the Bright Lights conference I attended a couple weeks ago. I was intrigued by this concept and wanted to hear what the authors had to say.

As I was reading in the second chapter of the book, I found this little nugget and thought I would share it with you (its application stretches beyond the realm of brothers and sisters).

"As we seek to be godly leaders in our families, our first assignment is to learn what seems like the opposite. Be a servant; look for opportunities to humble yourself and unselfishly serve others.

Characteristics of a True Servant
  • Knows that all assignments are actually from God
  • Will be quick to volunteer
  • Considers his/her assignment important
  • Takes orders
  • Does not desire to have authority
  • Will do what others do not or will not do
  • Enjoys meeting needs
  • Doesn't need recognition
  • Will voluntarily serve without pay
  • Doesn't seek higher status
  • Will do more than is required
  • Will serve anyone--even those whom others do not like to serve
  • Is willing to be treated like a servant
  • Doe not seek the "big" and "important" assignments
  • Will serve with a joyful attitude
  • Will put his/her whole heart into each task
  • Thinks of others before himself/herself
  • Desires that his/her master receives the credit
  • Desires that God receives the glory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 7th treatment of Taxol. I'm over the hump now. Only 5 left to go. Usually I have a couple good days right before I have che...