Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Idol of Comfort

I have had a very uncomfortable week (husband out of town, vehicle broke down, changes at place of employment, pain issues and doctor appointments downtown, etc.), which God has used to show me that I all too often make an idol out of comfort.

The Bible says in Exodus 20:3 "You shall have no other gods before me." Yet this week I found myself worshipping at the feet of the god of comfort. And when I did not get what I wanted (comfort), my instinct was to act sinfully. I was very uncomfortable this week, and I hated it.

God showed me that not only was I worshipping comfort, but I was all too comfortable with who I am, all too satisfied with me. I don't care to change and won't choose it. God uses trials and difficulties to change me, to conform me to the image of His son.

I know this through scripture:

when it says: "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-3

when I am warned: "But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it is conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death." James 1: 14-15

when I am reminded: "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, in order that He might be the firstborn among many brothers." Romans 8:28-29

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 11th treatment of Taxol. Only 1 left to go, and I am grateful! This past week was a bit of a low-energy week for me and more of...