Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Husband, The Conversationalist

Recently we were visiting with some acquaintances. We know them but we don't know them well. As Greg was visiting and asking questions, I was grateful to have him there and reminded of how God has uniquely gifted him in the area of conversation starting. Greg is a pretty quiet guy by nature, so most people would not think of him as a conversationalist. But quite the opposite is true. Greg is a bit of a "Jack of all trades" in life experience. He's able to draw from that and connect with just about anyone. I've never seen him intimidated by what another person does for a living, and that also serves him well. I've always said if Greg meets an astrophysicist at a dinner party the conversation would go something like this:

Me: Greg, this is Mary's husband, Frank. Frank, Greg. Greg, Frank.

A little later in the evening.

Greg: So, Frank, what do you do for a living?

Frank: I'm an astrophysicist. I work for NASA.

Greg: Oh, cool.

A little later in the evening.

Greg: So, Frank, are they still using the 25679-V at NASA these days?

Frank: With surprise and delight on his face says. Well, yes they are. In fact in my first 10 years with the company all I worked on was the 25679-V. Most people have never heard of it.

Me: Raising my hand in the background. (Yep. I've never heard of it).

Greg will then go on to explain how he knows about the 25679-V, and about 20 minutes of conversation will ensue.

Again, this is my imaginary re-enactment, but I've seen this sort of thing happen time and time again during my marriage to Greg. It is remarkable to watch. I'm very grateful for this conversational gift God has bestowed on Greg. I watch and try to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 11th treatment of Taxol. Only 1 left to go, and I am grateful! This past week was a bit of a low-energy week for me and more of...