Thursday, March 4, 2010

Blogging Tips

I've been blogging for about 10 months now (since May of last year). I don't think that qualifies me as an expert, but I have gained some knowledge since first starting the blog. So, I will attempt to pass on to you a few tips I've learned so far.
  • Pick a theme. If you wish to remain consistent with blogging, I think the best way to do that is by picking a theme for your blog. My theme is consistency. I blog about living the Christian life, day to day. I use daily blogging categories (both general and specific) to accomplish this goal.
  • I often schedule my posts. I write the post while I have an idea in my head and then schedule it to be posted later (this is particularly easy to do with some of my daily categories such as Resource Wednesday and the evangelism videos).
  • I aim to have a post appear on the blog six days a week, but I'm not bound by blogging six days of every week (sometimes Monday's entry is posted on Wednesday).
  • I strive to keep it gospel centered. I make it a point not to trust my own thoughts. I keep them anchored in the truth of God's Word at every opportunity.

Joys of blogging:

  1. I enjoy processing life, good sermons, good books and what I read in the Bible through the written word. It's fun for me to get it out of my head and onto the page.
  2. I enjoy the opportunity to present the gospel.
  3. The feedback from readers sharpens me.
  4. The feedback from friends encourages me.
  5. It holds me accountable to follow through on what I say I will do.
  6. It challenges me to compose my thoughts in an intelligent manner.

Pitfalls of blogging:

  1. It can be an open door for pride. There is a temptation to think of yourself as brilliant while you're blogging. I constantly pray for God (and not myself) to be glorified through this blog.
  2. It can occupy your thoughts entirely too much.
  3. There is a temptation to embellish life's events in order to make them more appealing.

Blogging advice:

  1. Read your Bible and pray everyday (without that you will be tempted to be wise in your own eyes).

That's the short list of the ups and downs of blogging. If you've ever considered writing your own blog (or maybe you already do), I hope these tips are helpful to you.

1 comment:

  1. Katrina, Those are great tips. I think I will have the kids read these since I am not experienced in this area. Thank you for taking the time to encourage my children. You are a blessing to me! Love, Meg (this may show up as a post from Katie since she was on here. : )

    ReplyDelete

Today was my 7th treatment of Taxol. I'm over the hump now. Only 5 left to go. Usually I have a couple good days right before I have che...