Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Feed the Starving Teenagers

When my niece, Meghan, turned 14 a couple months ago, what started out as a birthday gift to her turned into an ongoing program (for the lack of a better word) with the teenagers in my life. I gave Meghan a book (Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris) and told her that it came with an optional bonus. If she read the book and made arrangements to meet with me and talk about it, she would receive $20. We have since met and talked about it, and we're in the process of reading another book (Lies Young Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Dannah Gresh). I'm also reading a book with my 17 year-old-nephew and one with a teenage girl at my church, same deal for them as for Meghan. I am affectionately calling this little "program" Feed the Starving Teenagers. Of course, I pick out the books, and I read them ahead of time. My goal in this is to share the gospel with the young people in my life and to disciple them along the way. If time and resources allow, I highly encourage trying this with a teenager near you.

2 comments:

  1. You are so good at seeing a need and meeting that need! Way to be intentional! May God richly bless your efforts and give the rest of us such a burden - if not with teenagers then with others around us!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina,

    Great approach and great material--I love it. Thanks for being intentional!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete

Today was a beautiful, unseasonably warm April day in Minnesota. The thermometer hit 81 degrees. I also had an unusual amount of energy for ...