Monday, November 30, 2009

Fix My Problems

As I prepare for another book discussion with one of my young friends, I've been reading through the book Lies Young Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free (by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Dannah Gresh) a second time. In the middle section of the book, the authors name 25 lies that young women believe. Hmmmm, not just young women. As I was reading the book last night, I was struck by lie #3 God should fix all my problems. I easily fall into that mentality and have been especially susceptible to it lately.

I was brought to my senses with this line from the book: God is more concerned with changing you to be a reflection of Christ than with solving all your problems.

It goes on to say, "The Bible teaches us that God uses trials and difficult times in our lives to help us grow. James 1:2-4 says that we are to be joyful in our trials, because God is testing our faith so that our faith will grow stronger. And Romans 5:3-4 tells us that 'suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope.' So even in our trials and our suffering, God is at work in our lives!" (page 49).

Just another reminder of how easily our focus can shift to ourselves.

James 1:2-4 (NKJV)
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Romans 5:3-4 (NKJV)
And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 7th treatment of Taxol. I'm over the hump now. Only 5 left to go. Usually I have a couple good days right before I have che...