Monday, December 13, 2010

Making Faces

Today is an off Cookie Baking Night, so I thought this would be an appropriate time to share this post. I have kind of an unusual hobby I revisit from time to time. I enjoy making faces (literally) out of polymer clay. Pictured below are a few of the faces I've made over the years.

A few weeks ago, Emily (our niece) spent the weekend with us. One evening during the weekend, I introduced Emily to the skill of "making faces". First, I had her watch the following you tube video so she could get an idea of the process.




Then we set to work. The first step is to condition (soften) the clay. A pasta machine is used for this process. Emily enjoyed this part the most.


Next, she started to layer the pieces together that will make up the face.



Now, she was ready to roll it down to a smaller size (it's harder than it looks).


The proportions were off on the first try (yellow), so we tried again (green). I think she had a successful beginning face-making experience. We baked the clay, and she took a few of the faces home with her to be enjoyed in some kind of craft, I'm sure.



This was a great exercise in learning how to follow directions and realizing that no one is an expert right away. Skills need to be practiced. I see more fun nights with clay in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 5th chemo session with Taxol. 5 down 7 to go. I'm happy to report it was pretty uneventful as chemo days go. I didn't h...