Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lies Young Women Believe

In a few of my posts I've talked around the book Lies Young Women Believe (and the Truth That Sets Them Free) by Nancy Leigh De Moss and Danna Gresh. Today I'm going to talk about it. I like it. I've read this book twice now. Last week, I met with my niece, Meghan, and we discussed the book. I was surprised how much she related to the book and how it opened conversation to subjects that usually would take months of careful planning before even considering approaching them.

This book is saturated with Scripture. It starts out discussing truth and giving a foundation for what that means. Then it discusses 25 lies that young women believe (such as God is not enough, I've never been exposed to satanic activities, I need a boyfriend, everyone at church is judging me, I'm my own authority, etc.) Each lie is exposed and refuted with Scripture.

The book ends this way:
"In this final chapter, we want to highlight 22 truths that we believe will radically transform your life if you will choose to believe and embrace them. These are key truths we find ourselves going back to over and over again."

It goes on to name 22 truths from Scripture with references to back it up (such as God is enough Psalm 23:1; the blood of Christ is sufficient to cover all my sin 2 Corinthians 12:9, I am responsible before God for my behavior, responses, and choices Ezekiel 18:19-22, I need the church Ephesians 2:19-22, Eph 5:25; 1 Corinthians 12:12-17, etc.)

Meghan said she liked this last chapter of the book the best because "it gave her real advice about what to do from here and real Bible verses."

A few closing comments about this book:

  • Nancy Leigh DeMoss wrote Lies Women Believe first. That book is geared toward adult women. Several people have asked me, "Aren't they pretty much the same?" I've read only half of Lies Women Believe now, but I think I can confidently say, no, they are not the same. Both are good, and I would recommend both of them, but they are geared toward two different audiences. In Lies Young Women Believe, the authors do a great job of addressing specific issues dealt with by a specific culture, one that is removed from the world of adults. It's an education in itself.
  • I would recommend reading this book with a young lady and discussing it afterward. A few words of caution on this, though. This book contains some sensitive subject matter. If the young lady you have in mind is immersed in the world system, unsaved, or attending public school, I would recommend reading this book with them (not giving it to them to read alone) when they are between the ages of 13 and 14 because, under those circumstances, they will be able to handle the subject matter and, for the most part, won't be exposed to any new ideas. If the young lady you have in mind is a regular church attender and attends Christian school or home school and has mostly Christian friends I might wait until 15-16 to read it with them because you could be introducing new ideas to them. Ultimately, it should be discussed with the young lady's parents before reading it with her or it should be read with a parent.
  • This book is a keeper. It will remain in my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 12th treatment of the Taxol drug, and my last one in this regimen. No more infusion appointments. I am very grateful for that, ...