Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Book Club Wednesday 12/28/11

The Musings Book Club selection for December is Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Deibler Rose. This will be my last post on this book. My final quote from the body of the book is from chapter 8. Mrs. Deibler was taken to maximum security prison for a time, interrogated, and put in solitary confinement. I was struck by how she passed the time in her cell:

"Much time was passed repeating Scripture. Starting with A, I would repeat a verse that began with that letter, then on through the rest of the alphabet. I discovered that most of the songs we had sung when I was a little girl were still hidden in my heart, though I hadn't consciously memorized many of them. 

As a child and young person, I had a driving compulsion to memorize the written Word. In the cell I was grateful now for those days in Vacation Bible School, when I had memorized many single verses, complete chapters, and Psalms, as well as whole books of the Bible. In the years that followed, I reviewed Scriptures often. The Lord fed me with the Living Bread that had been stored against that day when fresh supply was cut off by the loss of my Bible. He brought daily comfort and encouragement--yes, and joy--to my heart through the knowledge of the Word." 

It was an encouragement to see how God used His memorized Word to comfort, instruct, inform, console, and nourish in such a great time of need.

Eventually, the war end, that author was released from prison and returned home to America, this time a very young widow. She later remarried, had two children, and returned to the mission field (where she spent most of her life).  I highly recommend reading this book. We need books like this to remember what a faithful God we serve and to remind us of the price at which we enjoy freedom in America. On that note, I leave with a final quote from the author. This quote was found in the "acknowledgements" section at the very beginning of the book.

"More than 10 years ago I began to write my experiences during World War II for Bruce and Brian, my sons. I wished them to know, if ever difficult circumstances came into their lives, that their mother's God is still alive and very well, and His arm has never lost its ancient power!"


Click on the link below to find out how to purchase this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was a beautiful, unseasonably warm April day in Minnesota. The thermometer hit 81 degrees. I also had an unusual amount of energy for ...