Saturday, December 1, 2012

Evangelism Musings (Christmas Packs)




Ahh, it's Christmas pack season again. (I love Christmas pack season). I make up several of these "Christmas packs" and hand them out starting the day after Thanksgiving through Christmas day. I keep my purse loaded with them at all times. I hand them out everywhere I go, every time I make a purchase somewhere (grocery store, gas station, etc.) or sometimes I just hand them to people as I'm walking into stores (I also give them to the bell ringers if I put money in one of their buckets). I simply hand them to a person and say "This is for you. Merry Christmas!"

Each pack contains a gospel tract, a couple pieces of candy, and a half sheet of paper with the following info:

"Peace on earth. Goodwill to men." That's a popular phrase this time of year. Do you know where it comes from? It comes from the Bible. Many people think of peace as the absence of conflict or the absence of fighting, but the peace spoken of int he Bible is much greater than that. "Peace on earth. Goodwill to men" refers to peace between you and God. It's the message the angels brought to the shepherds in the field the night Jesus was born on this earth. "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth, peace, goodwill toward men!" Luke 2:14. It's the message we proclaim when we sing that classic Christmas carol Hark the Herald Angels Sing ("Peace on earth and mercy mild. God and sinners reconciled). Over 2,000 years ago, Jesus Christ was born on this earth. He came here to provide us with the peace of reconciliation with God. That is why we celebrate Christmas. 

 I have provided two things for your today: 

 A treat (Merry Christmas! Enjoy!) 
A gospel tract (my hope is that you will read the message in the tract and spend some time considering it today). 

 Merry Christmas and enjoy your day!

This is a very easy time of year to spread the gospel (good news) of Jesus Christ, and this is an easy vehicle for doing that. Even if you don't do a lot of Christmas shopping, errands abound this time of year, more trips here and there for various reasons. It's a good time of year to think outside the box in terms of evangelism.



(My purse filled with Christmas Packs)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Today was my 7th treatment of Taxol. I'm over the hump now. Only 5 left to go. Usually I have a couple good days right before I have che...