Monday, November 12, 2012

Cookie Baking Night 11/12/12

Tonight was Cookie Baking Night. In attendance this evening: Emily, Ethan, and Carissa. Tonight was Emily's birthday choice. The birthday honoree always chooses what we have for supper and the cookie we bake that night. For supper, Emily chose mashed potatoes, hamburger gravy, green bean casserole, and pineapple. For her cookie, she chose a cute little turkey cookie that we saw in one of those grocery aisle cookbooks. (Her birthday isn't until the end of the month, but we moved up her birthday choice night so she could have the cookies in time for Thanksgiving). 



This particular project took a little prep on my part. I cut out (with a flower-shaped cookie cutter) the cookies and baked them the day before. 

Another tip: Grocery stores with bakeries in them will often sell you colored frosting they use to decorate cakes. I purchased the colors we needed from the local bakery and filled the pastry bags the night before as well.



The children did a great job. It was their first time using pastry bags (and, personally, I was a little nervous about it). Their years of training as bakers showed in this project. They did a great job sharing the frosting and using the pastry bags, and they had no problem assembling all the little pieces this recipe required. 




As you can see, the cookies are really cute! (you can even tell they are turkeys, another concern of mine).




Most of our time this evening was spent on this project. However, we did manage to squeeze in Lesson 81 from Leading Little Ones to God by Marian Schoolland titled "Bringing Others To Church". We also read from John 1. This lesson spurred on some great gospel conversation (I share the gospel message every chance I get at Cookie Baking Nights). I could see wheels turning and heads thinking. I pray God regenerates the hearts.

As usual, a fun time was had by all!

1 comment:

  1. AWE!! love every other mon.Katrina is leading them to GOD..love

    ReplyDelete

Today was my 11th treatment of Taxol. Only 1 left to go, and I am grateful! This past week was a bit of a low-energy week for me and more of...