Tonight was Cookie Baking Night. We made an apple cake. Ethan took another try at cracking eggs (he tried it once, had a bad experience, and refused to try it again--that was at least a year ago). Tonight, I encouraged him to give it another try. He did a great job. Now, with one success under his belt, I think he'll be ready to practice this skill in the future.
We also made play dough. We used green Kool-Aid to color it. Then we spent some time playing with it.
Here's the recipe if anyone's interested:
3 cups flour
1-1/2 cups salt
3 cups water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
a few drops of food coloring or 1 pkg unsweetened Kool-Aid of your choice.
1. Mix all ingredients in a large saucepan.
2. Cook over medium low heat, stirring intermittently, until the dough comes away from the edges of the pan and becomes thick. Remove from heat.
3. Let play dough cool in the pan until it can be handled.
4. Turn play dough out on counter and knead 3-4 times.
5. Store in air tight container.