Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Cancer Musings (Surgery Pathology Results)

I (and my husband, Greg) met with my oncologist today to discuss the pathology report of the cancer/tumor that was removed during surgery a couple weeks ago and discuss the future treatment plan. 

To the praise of God, there is much good news in today's report. There was no cancer in the lymph nodes. The margins were negative (meaning there were no cancerous cells found at the edges of the tissue surrounding the tumor). There was a very good response to the chemo treatment, but it was not a complete response. The tumor shrunk from 14x9 mm to 4x2 mm. The cancerous area was completely removed with the surgery. 

The next course in treatment will be 4 weeks of radiation. Because it was not a complete response to the first two rounds of chemo and to lessen the chances of recurrence within 5 years, after radiation I will be treated with an oral (pill) course of chemo for six months. The oral drug is said to have less (and milder) side effects than the infused drugs. Time will tell on that one. 

As I close this post, I'll return to the quote I referenced when I first shared the news of cancer back in November.

In the infinite wisdom of the Lord of all the earth, each event falls with exact precision into its proper place in the unfolding of His divine plan. Nothing, however small, however strange, occurs without His ordering, or without its particular fitness for its place in the working out of His purpose; and the end of all shall be the manifestation of His glory, and the accumulation of His praise. --B.B. Warfield

I firmly believe that my current circumstances are not an accident and are being used by God for His purposes. He has my trust. 

Greg and I have made it a habit to take a picture at my oncology appointments. Here's the one from today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today I had an appointment with my oncologist to discuss the next chemo treatment. I was diagnosed with breast cancer back in early November...