Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Cancer Musings (Post Chemo Update)

Today marks 4 weeks post chemo treatments. The side effects continue to work their way out of my system. My appetite is returning, and I can taste food a little more every day. I still can't smell anything, but someday that will return as well. No hair in sight yet, but of all the side effects and symptoms from chemo, baldness has been the least worrisome and the most manageable. 

Despite my best efforts at icing my hands and feet during chemo treatments, I did get neuropathy (numbness and tingling) in my feet with the very last treatment. It showed up a couple days later along with redness and burning in my calves and swelling in my legs. A high quality lotion and compression stockings (so fun) are managing the last two symptoms. Walking every day for at least a mile or so is helping with the circulation in my feet and allowing me to tolerate the neuropathy.

The physical therapy sessions I've been attending have worked wonders on improving my strength and stamina. And by the grace of God, I'm now able to walk and exercise the same amount I was able to pre-chemo treatments. 

God has been so faithful all along this journey and continues to sustain my body (and my mind). I am grateful. 

Next step: Surgery on June 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have mentioned before that most people can grasp the concept that a person may lose the hair on their head as a side of effect of chemothe...