Monday, May 6, 2024

Cancer Musings (Physical Therapy)

Though chemo ended last week, my part-time job of attending medical appointments has not ended. A new study has shown that breast cancer patients have benefited from Physical Therapy before surgery to regain strength lost during the chemo process. I was asked if I would be interested in trying that. I'm all about the resources, so I said, "Sign me up". 

I lost a lot of weight during chemo (70 pounds) and consequently, I lost muscle too. I fatigue very easily. My instinct in all of this is to move less and rest more. So, I have been surprised that since I've started attending Physical Therapy (3 sessions so far) that the more I move, the more I can move. It was recommended that I try to take at least three 10-minute walks a day (as well as at least 3 days of some strengthening exercises). That seemed impossible at first. But, the more I do it, the easier it is and the less fatigued I am. I'll have 3 more sessions before the surgery date. 

I'm grateful for all the resources God has provided along this journey, and that He knows me better than I know myself. He knows what I need and He provides it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today is the first Wednesday in three months that I didn't have to go into the clinic for a chemo infusion, and I am so happy about that...