Friday, May 13, 2016

Book Musings (Do More Better) Part 2


Do More Better
I'm checking in again about the book Do More Better by Tim Challies. You can read my last post about it here.

Here's my analysis so far. I really enjoyed chapters 1-4, got lost during chapters 5-8, and found my way again in chapters 9-10 and the two bonus chapters at the end.

The first four chapters are about knowing your purpose, defining your responsibilities, answering the call, and stating your mission. I'll spend the next few posts working through this information.

The first chapter starts with defining your purpose and laying a foundation for why we would want to be productive. The author says this: "Productivity is not what will bring purpose to your life, but what will enable you to excel in living out your existing purpose." He then works through a brief chatechism of productivity, asking and answering questions.

"Q: Why did God create you?"

"A: God created me to bring glory to him."

"Q2: How can you glorify God in your everyday life."

"A: I can glorify God in my day-to-day life by doing good works."

"Q3: What are good works?"

"A: Good works are deeds done for the glory of God and the benefit of other people."

"Q4: But you are a sinful person. Can you actually do good works?"

"A: Yes. Christians are able to do good works because of the finished work of Christ."

"Q5: In what areas of life should you emphasize good works?"

"A: I ought to emphasize good works at all times and in all areas of life."

"Q6: What is productivity?"

"A: Productivity is effectively stewarding my gifts, talents, time, energy, and enthusiasm for the good of others and the glory of God."

So the mantra of the book then becomes: "Remember your purpose. Your purpose is to glorify God and do good to others."

I could not think of a better way to open this book. With theology in place, we get to work in the chapters ahead.

Stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cookie Baking Night 06/19/17

Tonight was Cookie Baking Night. In attendance this evening: Emily, Ethan, and Carissa. Smaller crowd tonight, as Cookie Baking Ni...