Monday, February 29, 2016

Book Musings (Do More Better) Part 1 02/29/16

I haven't made any book recommendations on the blog lately, and today I am breaking that silence. I recently read (twice) and am still in the process of reading Do More Better by Tim Challies. It is a book about productivity, written from a Christian perspective.  Its a small book (120 pages),  but it contains a lot of material. I think most people won't use everything in the book, but I personally don't think anyone could read this book without taking something useful away from it that could be applied to life immediately. This book is really more of a process than a story. It causes you to think about what productivity is and why we want to be productive. And it calls you to action, stopping along the way to instruct you with action items.

First, the author supplies us with a definition of productivity, which is: "Productivity is effectively stewarding your gifts, talents, time, energy, and enthusiasm for the good of others and the glory of God." He returns to that definition many times in the book as a basis of explanation for the tasks you are being called to complete along the way.

He then calls the reader to define your own areas of responsibility by asking yourself: "Who or what has God made me responsible for? Where will God require an accounting from me?" After that is done, you are asked to list the roles, tasks, and projects that fall under those areas of responsibility and then prepare a mission statement for each area. All this is to be done before you even look at tools to manage your life in a productive way.

This is a well thought out and well written book. One that should be taken slowly and not abandoned when it gets hard. I highly recommend it to you. It's worth the effort. As mentioned in the beginning of this post, I am still working through it myself (reading and re-reading it--listening to it on an audio version as well). I will continue to post about my journey along the way, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cookie Baking Night (10/23/17)

Tonight was Cookie Baking Night. In attendance this evening: Emily, Allison, Rylar, and Enzo. Tonight we made our traditional fall favorite:...