Skip to main content

Bible Musings (John)

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

The first verse in the Gospel of John starts out by proclaiming Jesus as " the Word". That statement nearly jumps off the page at you if you've just read through the entire Old Testament in short succession because it is then that you realize that a great deal of what Jesus said during his time here on earth was Scripture (Old Testament). As I was reading through the Old Testament, I recognized a lot of Scripture that I knew was spoken by Jesus in the New Testament. The phrases that stood out to me as never before when I read through the Old Testament this time were "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" from Psalm 22 (which Jesus quoted while on the cross), I guess I never really connected that He was using and quoting Scripture in that moment of agony on the cross. The other phrase that stood out to me was "Son of Man". That seemed to be the phrase of choice that Jesus used when referring to himself. "Son of man" was also a phrase continually used in the book of Ezekiel. Everything Jesus said and did was Scripture-based. He truly is "the Word".

Comments