Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Book Musings (The Little Red Book of Wisdom)

"In my life it's safe to say that I have never learned a single thing while I was talking. My willingness to close my mouth and open my ears, on the other hand, has granted me free admission to a great education. 'Let the wise listen,' King Solomon said, 'and add to their learning.'

The advice to shut up and listen contradicts the human desire to be noticed or known, but not every good thing is easy. To never close my mouth, employ silence, genuinely hear another person, absorb new information, to believe that every moment requires my input is shortsighted and ultimately sad. Otherwise life is like standing on a balcony overlooking a breathtaking panorama and using the entire time to stare into a mirror."

Mark DeMoss--The Little Red Book of Wisdom, chapter 18 "Shut Up and Listen"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cookie Baking Night 08/28/17

Tonight is Cookie Baking Night. In attendance this evening: Allison, Rylar, and Enzo. Just the four of us tonight. Clara has taken ill with ...