Thursday, January 10, 2013

Workplace Musings (Purpose Statement)

My job has changed in the last year. I went from being a medical transcriptionist to a trainer of the electronic medical record. God is using this change greatly in my life. He has shown me:

  • I am not in control. God has that job, is qualified for it, and does it far better than I ever could. 
  • God is the one who gives employment, and God is the one who takes it away. 
  • I am often looking to put my security in things other than God, such as my knowledge. Since a complete, I-can-do-this-in-my-sleep kind of knowledge of the job I was performing was removed, God was able to reveal this sin to me.
  • When I don't know how to do something, I do nothing, out of fear. This has been a painful lesson for me, but God is faithfully teaching me along the way.  
  • Pride abounds in my life. God is using this job to humble me.  
As I have struggled to learn all the aspects of my new job, it was clear to me I needed to focus on my purpose and why I am there. With that realization, I wrote a purpose statement and posted it at my desk for reference and constant reminder. It looks like this: 

Training Coordinator
Purpose: To bring glory to God while honoring Him as a servant at MCN through earnest prayer and diligent preparation by dying to myself and my natural inclinations with the goal of training and equipping employees for service at MCN. 

The writing of this statement was informed by the Bible. Here are the passages that tell me this: 

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, at present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:1-2 ESV

And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. Luke 9:23-24 ESV

So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. (Romans 6:11 ESV)

Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God. 1 Peter 4:1-2 ESV

Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness. Psalm 29:2 ESV

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31 ESV

As well as Philippians 1:3-4, 1 Thessalonians 5:17, Colossians 1:3, Titus 3:5-7, Philippians 4:6-7, John 6:44, John 15:16, 1 Chronicles 16:9, Psalm 34:9, Psalm 145:10, and a few others.

The verse I have turned to the most in the past year is Psalm 145:3: Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable. I have found that to be true, as well as His knowledge being incomprehensible and  His faithfulness enduring.

One more time everyone: Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised!


1 comment:

  1. very informing.so nice to read..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete

Cookie Baking Night 06/19/17

Tonight was Cookie Baking Night. In attendance this evening: Emily, Ethan, and Carissa. Smaller crowd tonight, as Cookie Baking Ni...