Saturday, April 28, 2012

To Blog Or Not To Blog

To blog or not to blog, that has truly been the question of late. With some recent time constraints (that won't be going away for awhile), I gave careful consideration to discontinuing the blog. Instead, I decided to continue it and make some modifications:
  • I'm no longer aiming for daily posts on my blog. (You can check out "What to Expect from this Blog" on the sidebar to the right of the page for more details).
  • I changed the look of it, just a little (I have a hard time moving away from simple).
I have spent a long time praying about this blog. All along I've prayed that God would allow me to keep blogging only if it brings glory to Him. I consider it a ministry, and that is a main reason it's staying. 

As long as I'm blogging about blogging, I thought I'd mention the pros and cons of blogging that I considered in my decision. 

PROS
  • I have opportunity to share the gospel.
  • I am connected with Christians around the country and abroad that I would not have "met" otherwise.
  • The blog allows me more opportunities to hand out gospel tracts (upon meeting someone new, I often will give them the gospel tract I have written, explain it shares a little about my story and mention that my e-mail address and blog address are on the back). 
  • It allows friends and family to experience a little bit of what goes in the head of a "quiet girl".
  • I like to write, and the blog allows me that opportunity. 
  • I can document what's going on around me (in words and pictures).


CONS
  • It's time consuming. 
  • It's dangerous to my walk with the Lord. (Sitting at the computer can distract me into doing and viewing far more than I should. I can have the tendency to put it above my time in God's Word or prayer).
  • I'm intensely private (which I'm not sure isn't a sin--probably could be put under the category of pride) and every post is a battle for me. 
  • I like my relationships with others to be real and to be deep (blogging, especially for those who live in close proximity to me, can cause people to think they already know me so there's no need for conversation about things they've already read on my blog---there are so many details I don't put on the blog). 
  • It opens a door to pride (there is the danger in blogging of thinking yourself to be more important than you are). 

All things considered, I would say that blogging, in it's proper place and perspective, can be a useful tool, and I recommend it (along with much prayer and constant evaluation). 

See you in future posts....

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Katrina!

    Wow! I feel your gain and I feel your pain. The Word Street Journal is already 3 years old now and it has been quite a ride. Up and down, up and down. It has gone from a one post a day commitment to whenever I have time. I eventually had to come to terms with this thing called "reality", lest I fold the blog.

    Your pros and cons is a fair and honest assessment of what it's like to blog as a Christian and the concerns attached to it are real. One of our motives for blogging (the good kind), evangelism encouragement, takes this endeavour beyond a hobby and into a ministry, for that it is what it truly is.

    Kim can attest to the fact that every time I started to entertain the thought of shutting it down due to it's time and energy demands, I would receive an e-mail or two from people from far, far away, whom I will probably never meet on this side of the grave, who just wrote a note to tell me that this blog that they had just "stumbled upon" at some point had been of such encouragement to them that they have come out of their comfort zones and are now busy hitting the streets with the gospel wherever they live.

    So, I just press on. Don't get me wrong, I DO enjoy it, but it sure can be taxing. And I am deeply humbled and encouraged by testimonies like that. I guess the Lord wants me to keep it going.

    But what I had to learn was to accept my time restraints, make sure my priorities were in order and press on. So what if I don't blog for over a week at a time? I blog when I can blog and the Lord will bless it when I do. I just have to trust that.

    I give thanks to our gracious God for "Katrina's Musings". And I am glad to see you are going to hang on. Just make some adjustments to suit your time and needs, tweak whatever needs tweaking, and blog when you see fit to blog.

    Your fellow soldier on the street and on the blogosphere appreciates your steadfast contribution to being the iron that sharpens other iron. It is a joy to serve the Lord with you in His service this way. Though we may not often see how our readers react to what we have to offer, God does and I trust that He is well pleased.

    Thank you, sister.

    Until His kingdom is complete,

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul,

    This comment is more helpful to me than you know. Thank you for taking the time to write it. For the record (and as one who knows the time-committment involved in blogging), I would be very sad if The Word Street Journal ceased to exist. I found it at a time when I was just beginning to get involved in evangelism, and the posts (and ideas) encouraged me to press on. God used you greatly in my life.

    Thank you for sharing from your own experience, for the encouragement, and for the advice. Most appreciated. May the Lord continue to be pleased to use you on the streets of Ottawa and in the lives of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Likewise, Katrina. Glory to God, always! :)

    ReplyDelete

Cookie Baking Night 07/31/17

Tonight was Cookie Baking Night. In attendance this evening: Ethan, Carissa, Allison, Rylar, and Enzo (and Larry, Clara, and Greg). Tonight ...