Skip to main content

Pet Peeves

Most people would understand what I say when I mention the phrase pet peeve. Wikipedia defines it this way: A pet peeve is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to him or her, to a greater degree than others may find it. I would say that is an accurate definition.

I've used this term myself and have heard many others (including Christians) use it. The older I get, and the longer I continue in a relationship with Jesus Christ, I realize that pet peeves are really just identifying an area of sin in my life. They have little to do with the person performing the "act of offense" and mostly to do with my inability to love those around me as Christ has called me to do. Lately, when tempted to dwell on something that annoys me (usually being performed by another human being), I dwell on these verses instead:

"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful." 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 (emphasis added)


Comments