Cookie Baking Night started about eight years ago. It is for the nieces and nephews on both my side of the family and Greg's side of the family. Once a niece or nephew turns 3 years old, they are invited to attend "Cookie Baking Night".
Here's how it works:
- It is held every other Monday night at our house from 5:00 pm until 8:00 pm.
- The kids eat supper with us
- We do some kind of cooking/baking project, which they take home with them at the end of the evening
- We have a Bible lesson (currently working through Leading Little Ones to God by Marian Schoolland right now)
- We generally spend time together around some kind of project or game
- On Cookie Baking Nights near birthdays, the birthday boy or girl gets to choose what we have for supper and the kind of cookie we make that night (this seems to be a big hit!)
My idea behind this is to know the nieces and nephews as they grow up, and I go about that by spending some concentrated time with them.
If you don't have a "Cookie Baking Night" sort of activity in your life, I highly recommend incorporating one.