Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mentoring Musings 02/17/11

I just finished reading chapter 3 in Growing Up Christian by Karl Graustein. The chapter was titled "Un-Amazing Grace" The Danger of Taking the Grace of God for Granted.

Here's a quote from this chapter (page 49):

"As church kids, we can tend to view ourselves as being pretty good and not having sinned much--at least no really awful sins. Although we would never say it aloud, we are tempted to think that God got a pretty good deal when he chose us to be part of his kingdom. We tend to erroneously see ourselves as having little sin and as having been forgiven of little sin. This way of thinking leads to a danger church kids face: a lack of appreciation for the saving and forgiving grace of God."

The author goes on to give a self-evaluation quiz to see if we can tell if we appreciate the grace of God in our lives. It is as follows:

Read the following statements, and rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10. Ten means that you strongly agree and one means that you strongly disagree.

  1. I am extremely grateful that God has saved me.
  2. I regularly think of what my life would be like if God had not saved me.
  3. When I look at my life, I see a lot of sin.
  4. I am often amazed that God forgives me, even when I repeatedly sin.
  5. When I pray, I frequently thank God for forgiving my sin.
  6. I love to worship God and express my love for him in song.
  7. I really enjoy talking with others about God.
  8. I look for opportunities to share my faith with others.
  9. I am extremely excited about spending eternity in heaven.
  10. I regularly thank God for saving me from eternity in hell.

Take a minute to look over your ratings. How would you evaluate yourself overall? Do you seem to appreciate the saving and forgiving grace of God in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cookie Baking Night 07/31/17

Tonight was Cookie Baking Night. In attendance this evening: Ethan, Carissa, Allison, Rylar, and Enzo (and Larry, Clara, and Greg). Tonight ...