Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Workplace Musings 12/21/10

At my place of employment, I am in a two-person department that is mostly self-operating. Occasionally, I run into an issue that I cannot solve on my own, so I seek out a higher authority. Such a scenario presented itself last week. I went to the next in command over my department. That person was not able to help me but directed me to someone who could. As I was leaving her office, she handed me a couple signs to hang up in my work area (I had noticed these brightly-colored signs with humanistic sayings on them popping up all around the building--I had a feeling our department wouldn't escape this latest self-help directive). As she handed me the yellow sign she said, "Maybe you need this one." The irony being, printed on that sign were these words: Trust Yourself. You Know More Than You Think You Do. The second sign read, Start Where You Are. Use What You Have. Do What You Can. Hmmm. When we remove a moral authority from our lives (God), we will start looking to ourselves for the answers. I find very little hope in that scenario. My knowledge only goes so far, and I am sinful at heart. I don't want to trust myself.

I work at a secular company, and they don't claim to be anything other than that. Therefore, I do not expect them to run the company based on Biblical principles. I am not surprised when I receive humanistic advice from the administration. However, I do not check my Christianity at the door when I arrive for work in the morning. As a Christian, I am to look to the Bible for counsel in all situations (even the workplace). The passage I've been working on with my Sunday School class came to mind immediately.

Proverbs 3:5-8
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.

Another good reason to (constantly) be putting the truth of God's Word in your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cookie Baking Night 07/31/17

Tonight was Cookie Baking Night. In attendance this evening: Ethan, Carissa, Allison, Rylar, and Enzo (and Larry, Clara, and Greg). Tonight ...