Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Book Club Wednesday 12/22/10

The Book Club selection for now through February is Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul Tripp. Click here for more information about Book Club Wednesdays. Click here for a schedule pertaining to Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands.

The assigned reading for this past week was Chapters 2 & 3.

In chapter 2, titled "In the Hands of the Redeemer", I was struck by this passage on page 22.

" If you were asked to teach a Sunday school lesson, preach a sermon, or lead a Bible study, you would immediately ask yourself, 'Do I have the time I need to prepare?' Yet we often respond to our neighbor, golfing buddy, or church volunteer with little preparation, reflection, or prayer. Why do we spend hours preparing to teach while we offer important personal direction without a second thought? We forget that God uses those interactions to apply the transforming power of Scripture to people's hearts. We forget that God's Word is our primary tool of change. Instead, we come up with a little personal wisdom and personal experience and let the words fly."

Ouch. That can be true for my own life. I often want to speak out of personal experience and leave God's Word as an afterthought. As I have realized this about myself (even before I started reading this book), I realize the answer to that "why?" question is that I don't have enough of God's Word in me to come out. A situation I am working to remedy.

Have you started reading the book? Any comments on chapters 1-3 so far? I look forward to your feedback.

Next week: Chapter 4 (The Heart is the Target) and Chapter 5 (Understanding Your Heart Struggle).

1 comment:

  1. I'm still musing over this...

    "But our inclination is to replace the King with a thing (a system like our culture's psychology) does not die easily. It rears its ugly head when we search for answers in Scripture. We approach the Bible with a "where can I find a verse on _______" mentality. We forget that the only hope the principles offer rests on the Person, Jesus Christ." page 8

    "If a system could give us what we need, Jesus would never have come. But he came because what was wrong with us could not be fixed any other way. He is the only answer, so we must never offer a message that is less than the good news. We don't offer people a system; we point them to a Redeemer. He is hope." page 9

    Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete

Cookie Baking Night 09/25/17

Tonight was Cookie Baking Night. In attendance this evening: Allison, Rylar, and Enzo. Tonight we made pumpkin bars.  ...