Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Workplace Musings 11/30/10

As promised, Tuesday will be dedicated to posts about the workplace, mostly lessons in sanctification learned through living and moving in the secular workplace.

I have these verses typed out on a card and hanging on the wall of my desk (at my place of employment) near my phone: " Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though He was in the form of God, did not count equality a thing to be grasped, but made Himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:5-10

I can say, without a doubt, when I find myself getting irritated with someone at work, even when I feel wronged, it is because I am loving myself more than I love that other person. I have an agenda for how I want a particular situation to play out, and I expect it to go that way. Despite popular advice of our day, the problem is not that "I don't love myself enough" it is that I love myself too much. I care very much about what's going to happen to me in that situation.

I have recently been reading in the book "From Pride to Humility" by Stuart Scott. There is a section in that book that lists manifestations of humility, characteristics of a humble person. I was struck by this one: A humble person sees himself as no better than others. "A humble person would never see himself as better than others. This is true no matter who the other person is. The humble person understands that he, in and of himself, is capable of the worst sin."

As I begin to grasp this idea and bring it into the workplace with me, it changes everything. It is an opportunity to allow God to teach me humility, a characteristic of Jesus, the one whom I serve and desire to be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cookie Baking Night 09/25/17

Tonight was Cookie Baking Night. In attendance this evening: Allison, Rylar, and Enzo. Tonight we made pumpkin bars.  ...